Monday 20 August 2012

Prayers ( Made in the Philippines )



Staring blankly at the world hustling and bustling around me, there was this strange peacefulness and quiet happiness fluttering in my head. Why would I not feel like that? It was the first ten minutes of my freedom from examinations hell. I got out of college feeling like I knew I was going to get a 50% (pass mark) for the exams I had been dreading the entire half-time 2011 and first instance 2012. Gone were the days I would aim for the top numbers. Fifty per cent was what I was dreaming of. And this was being very optimistic. I gotta pass. I just gotta pass.

And I gotta talk to someone.

“Anak…kumusta?! (How are you, my daughter?) My Mom's voice. I just heard my voice croaking when I replied, “Nasa bus na ko ‘Ma.  Tapos na exam ko…” (I'm on the bus now, Mom. Exam's just finished...)

Then silence.

“Musta, yung exams mo Anak?” (How were the exams, my daughter?)

You see, some depressing and exhausting nights ago. I rang my mother up to just hear her voice.  And to hear her pray for me over the phone. It’s a habit my sister and I share. It’s been over ten years since the last time I sat with my mother in prayer for an exam. But how strange that the feeling of comfort that someone prays for you does not change despite the time difference and distance? It has been almost 12 years, as far as I can remember since my mother and I sat together in prayer but the feeling of renewed faith after has never changed.  I’m so sure she has been praying for all of us even when we were still in her womb!

When I am reminded of my mother’s tears of plea, thankfulness and sorrow in her prayers, I am reminded of all the reasons why I turned up the way I am after 22 years.  I am not the most fabulous person I’ve ever heard of, but I do know that I have tried, and I am still trying to be what my mother asks God for her children to be in her prayers…reliant on His promises.

I am so sure that many more late night pray-for-me-Mom calls will be made in the next two years of my studies. With child-like confidence, I know my mother will never get tired of listening to my prayer requests. She just won’t. She will never be. Forever.

Mothers know best and when they pray for you, they do always pray for the best.

*Ikaw, kelan ka huling nag-pray with your Mom?* ( how about you? when was the last time you prayed with your mother? )

No comments:

Post a Comment